Frequently asked questions
ARE WALK-INS WELCOME?
Walk-ins are always welcome, but a seat is not guaranteed. The best way to guarantee a slot is to schedule an appointment with one of our talented artists. All walk-ins without an appointment are served on a first come, first served basis. We recommend you arrive early on special event dates such as Friday 13th, Halloween, May the 4th be with you, and Valentines Day.
WHAT FORMS OF PAYMENT ARE ACCEPTED?
Cash is always accepted. Credit card payments are based on each individual artist. Gift certificates must be redeemed through the artist of sale.
HOW OLD DO I HAVE TO BE?
Tattoo of Minors: In the state of Colorado, age of consent for a tattoo is 18 years. Body artists can’t perform body art procedures on a minor without consent from the minor’s parent or legal guardian. To receive a tattoo, a client must be a minimum of 16 years of age with parental consent. No tattoos will be performed upon a minor without valid identification for both parent and child.
For more information: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/tattoo-and-piercing-body-art
HOW MUCH WILL MY TATTOO COST?
There is no set cost for a tattoo as there are many factors in price determination. Cost considerations will depend on the size, placement, colors utilized, and quantity of sessions. Some artists may charge by the hour, while others charge by the piece. The best way to obtain an estimate will be to stop by our shop at speak with one of our artists.
SHOULD I PLACE A DEPOSIT?
Deposits are not a mandatory thing, but if you have a tattoo that must be custom designed, we ask that you leave a deposit. Each artist has their own pricing criteria, so be prepared. A guaranteed minimum of $50 will be asked, but that can change based on size, design, and/or the artists discretion. Deposits hold your scheduled tattoo time slot. If you are unable to keep your appointment, please reschedule. "No Call, No Show" may result in a non refundable deposit. All of this will be discussed at the time of your consultation.
FEET, HANDS, ELBOWS, LIPS, AND EARS ARE NOT GUARANTEED
Tattoos on the feet, hands, elbows, lips, and ears are not guaranteed to be performed at Mad Alchemist Tattoo. We will not offer touch ups for these locations. It will be at the artists discretion to perform the tattoo or to complete touch ups.
The healing quality of a tattoo in these body placements is somewhat down to technical ability, but there is a lot of luck involved and variation between peoples skin. Some tattooists are better than others, but no artists, regardless of skill level will get it perfect every time. This is compounded with the second problem…expectations of the public.
A lot of heavily tattooed people end up with palm tattoos, inner finger tattoos etc, but they are often not all that concerned about it being perfect and understand the realities of how tattoos heal. If someone comes in for their first tattoo, and they want a little bit of lettering down the inside of the finger, what freshly done photos on Instagram have led them to expect, will almost always be different to the reality of how the tattoo ends up and the client will be very disappointed.
Even if the tattoo does hold the ink during the healing process, all tattoos spread and change over time. As your skin changes, loses elasticity and ages, your tattoo will soften and spread. Over time (even a short amount of time), the tattoo lines in these locations will distort over time.
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE FOR MY TATTOO?
EAT, EAT, EAT....
- Eat a full meal high in protein and carbohydrates at least 3 hours prior to your tattoo session.
- Eating will boost your immune system, allowing your body to handle the rush of endorphins released as a result of needle to skin.
- Don't Faint! Eat chocolate or a sugary drink! Needle to skin will reduce blood sugar, which is combated by treating yourself to sweets.
- Drink lots of water!
- Avoid Alcohol the night before and day of the tattoo. Alcohol thins your blood and reduces pain tolerance.
- Avoid large quantities of caffeine.
DON'T BE GROSS... TAKE A SHOWER....
- Your tattoo artist will be in close proximity to your skin.
- Shower or Bathe before your tattoo.
- Wear deodorant, unless you are getting tattooed in your armpit.
- Wear clothes you won't mind getting ink stained.
- Bring layers. Receiving a tattoo can often make you cold due to blood loss.
WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU....
- Be sure to bring reference designs, artwork, or photos with you.
- Bring your Government issued photo ID for proof of age and identity.
- Bring full payment amount to your tattoo session.
- Bring a snack and something to drink... especially for long sessions.
HEALTH CONDITIONS AND TATTOOS....
- You should reschedule if you are on antibiotics.
- You will need a doctor's note/consent if you have a heart condition or if you are on blood thinning medications.
- Tylenol, Ibuprofel, Midol, and other similar medications will thin your blood, increasing the difficulty of receiving a tattoo.